Agony of the soul (?) etc

Swami Vishvarupananda omkar at GIASDL01.VSNL.NET.IN
Mon Jan 13 03:31:32 CST 1997

> The shastras are valid because they are based on the Vedas.  Indeed the
> measure of a shastra is the degree to which it is in concordance with the
> Vedas.  So the question is reduced to what makes the Vedas valid?  This
is
> a topic which the Purva Mimamsakas have considered at length (in a
> rational manner I might add.) They base the validity of the Vedas on it
> being nitya (eternal, unchanging) and apaurusheya (unauthored by any
being
> mortal or divine.)

So you do take their word for it that the Vedas are nitya and apaurusheya.
That was exactly the point I was trying to make. Ultimately you do have to
take someone's word for something.

> > Therefore I am really curious what, that could satisfy your demands,
has
> > convinced you of their truth? If it is logic, then how can you know
whether
> > tomorrow that logic may not proof false?
>
> I demand the same proof as for any other subject in the world.  Logic is
> a reliable means for determining the truth.  I don't believe you or
anyone
> else actually believes for a minute that logic will prove false
overnight.

What I meant to say is, logic is relative. In physics e.g. the logic
applied to cosmological phenomena does not proof valid in particle physics
and vice versa. So, our logic is always based on a set of concepts
and an angle of view. It is nothing absolute. It is as I said relative. And
therefore the basis of the direction logic has taken in a certain course
can fall. Moreover, talking on the Vedas you cannot claim that they are
presented with a view to appeal to logic. They are very symbolic.
Even apart from this I don't believe logic is a means for determining truth
in the absolute sense. The Transcendental is beyond logic and illogic,
both, because they belong to Avidya. Yes, Shankaracharya tries very much to
appeal to logic, in order to bring it to us in a language we understand,
and yes, logic can be of great help. But in the ultimate realization of
Truth it has to drop away.

Om,
Swami Vishvarupananda