A moment please !!!

VP Nandakumar nandav01 at M0E3S33.NMB.NORWEST.COM
Tue Feb 11 14:20:52 CST 1997

Hi,

        I've been part of the Advaita discussion group for the past few days and
have observed that the Vedas and the Upanishads are being used as the ultimate
references. Even if these are so, can it not be that due to the passage of time
(that's understating that actually!) and the civilization of mankind in general,
some of the content might've been outdated or no longer relevant.

        Even if the content is relevant, are we sure that we're interpreting
them correctly? I was under the impression that ADVAITA, DOESN'T ASK YOU TO TAKE
ANYTHING ON TRUST. IT ONLY ASKS THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE A PASSIONATE CRAVING TO
KNOW REALITY. If these are the fundamental concepts, why is it that we take
whatever is in the scriptures for granted and the ultimate answer? Is it not our
duty to analyze the statements in the scriptures and explore the reason WHY?

        For example, the question about a Brahmin becoming asudh if he crosses
the ocean. Can it be that in those ancient times, lands across the seas were
truly barbaric and crossing the seas were so difficult and a totally degrading
experience that the sages might've felt that these experiences would soil a
man's mind and soul and so made such statements in the scriptures?

        I don't know, but I sure hope to find out!

Cheers,
Nanda