Essence of Advaita

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Sun Dec 28 21:43:46 CST 1997

At 02:17 PM 12/28/97 +0100, Miguel Angel Carrasco wrote:

>IIf, being the Absolute, I can^Òt
>change, then why bother at all to speak about enlightenment? Who would be
>enlightened? Why seeking for truth? Who would find it? Why speaking about
>anything at all? Why on earth am I writing this post?

Why?  Lila!  Don't look for anything more profound.  If you feel you must
find the answers to these kinds of questions, perhaps you can find a living
teacher.  You know, as Nanda Kumar (I believe it was he) asked on this list
a while ago:

     Guru Wanted.

This is why many Vedanta teachers don't expose their students to the
highest non-dualist teachings till the necessary mental, emotional,
educational distillation has taken place (via karma and bhakti yogas) --
advaita can be really hard to understand!

Have you read the Yogavashista or the Mandukya Upanishad or the Ashtavakra
Samhita?

--Greg Goode