solipsism and advaita

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Dec 18 07:08:33 CST 1997

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Sankar Jayanarayanan wrote:

> > YOU ARE REAL..........REST IS UNREAL
> >

> >                                                     NAGESWAR
>
> This is a point of view in Western philosophy called "solipsism" which
> states that (in my version) the only thing that can be verified is oneself.
>
> >From the Websters dictionary:
>
> solipsism n : the philosophical theory that the self is all that you know to
>               exist.
>
> Everything is experienced only "within oneself," bringing us once again to
> expect nothing more than just the experience of oneself. There is no past,
> future, or time itself.
>
> Then my question would be: is this all there is to advaita? Is the experience
> of Rishis simply the same awareness that we feel and the fact that there is
> nothing else? Was Krishna merely preaching solipsism to Arjuna -- which is
> nothing but some cheap argumentation of some second-rate philosophers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kartik

In the absence of response from learned members of the list, I would like
to put in my two cents worth:

In my  view, advaita deals with what is meant by "you" in "you are real"
                                                  ^^^
statement by Shri Nageswar. It says what "you" are, or to put it more
correctly, what "you" are not. I do not know much about solipsism, hence
cannot comment on it, but advaita, in my understanding, is much more than
"You are real".

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
... aham bhAvodayAbhAvo bodhasya paramAvadhih ...
                        Shri Shankara in Viveka ChuDAmaNi (verse 424)

The end of the rise of the sense of "I" of the ego is the culmination
of knowledge.