advaitam and Kashmir shaivam (Idealism and Realism)

Martin Gifford marting at NSWCC.ORG.AU
Tue Aug 19 03:14:37 CDT 1997

At 05:24 AM 18/08/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Here's a simple experiment.  1.  Find a tall building.  2.  jump off it.
>In the few seconds before you splatter all over the ground, try and
>mentally adjust the law of gravity.  Oddly enough it doesn't seem to work
>does it?  No matter how many people will try this experiment, gravity and
>the way it works will remain the same to each observer.  Because they are
>_completely_ independant of the observer.
>
>The idealist might reply that this mental creation of the world is
>unconscious and not subject to such direct manipulation.  Already this is
>a dilution of the idealist concept but even with this admission the theory
>is implausible.  There are what 5-6 billion people in the world today?
>Even on a subject as vague as the interpretation of a sunrise, there are a
>lot less than 5 billion opinions.  If all these people are out there
>creating their own realities, why do so many of them agree with each
>other?

.......Yeah, but as I said, you have to believe in their existence first.
Which means you think you are infallible. Any second things could change and
your whole 'reality' will be blown. Fingers crossed.....

Regards,

Martin.