Thinking - and Osho

Tue Aug 12 19:38:53 CDT 1997

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Dennis Waite wrote:

> Thank you to Jaldhar H. Vyas for his amusing comments on my submission. I
> had to smile, having already anticipated something of the sort. No offence
> taken incidentally. I'm bound to say it did remind me of the quotation from
> Ambrose Pierce:- an opinion is "To be positive: To be mistaken at the top of
> one's voice".
>
> I confess to having had grave suspicions about Rajneesh-Osho or 'whatever he
> calls himself this week' (in fact I gather he changed his name to 'OM'
> before he died - that should give Jaldhar some grounds for more invective!).

Rajneesh was a conman nothing more really needs to be said.  He wasn't the
first Indian to discover that a good way of disguising bullshit is to call
it "Eastern philosophy" and he probably won't be the last.  If there are
any people who should really be the target of invective and derision it is
the ones who despite all the evidence in front of their faces insist on
taking him seriously.

> However, the more I read (excepting perhaps the last year or two of his
> life), the more impressed I become with his ability to communicate the
> truths of Advaita (and other traditions).

What truths are these?  On what grounds do you believe he communicated the
truths of any tradition?  To make this assessment you must have thought
about it somewhat.

I wonder how much Jaldhar has
> actually read of him? He also defends his behaviour quite well in a number
> of articles. Accordingly,

Well here's something interesting I read in todays New York Times.
There's an article in the Science section about how doctors tracked down a
salmonella outbreak in the Oregon town near which his commune was located.
Apparently in order to corruptly influence elections in the town, two
Rajneesh cultists delibrately contaminated salad bars with the deadly
bacteria.  _751_ cases were reported.  And you think people should be
getting spiritual advice from such a person?  If you have a defense of
mass poisoning by all means post it.  I'm sure a lot of people would be
interested.

>I prefer not to judge or criticise but to take
> what he says and judge it on its own merits.

So let me know how you judge the merits of attempted murder.  It should be
quite simple.  if it isn't you have bigger problems than being tyrannised
by your mind.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \