On Householder and Sanyaasi

Tue Aug 12 18:42:37 CDT 1997

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Nanda Kumar wrote:

> Doesn't the ISHA Upanishad say, "Renunciation is not the renunciation
> of the world, rather the renunciation of the Ego and selfishness" ?

I don't think so.  Which verse are you quoting?

> How exactly would you define Sanyaasi? If a Sanyaasi can be defined
> as a person who is entirely devoid of desires and is totally selfless in all
> his activities and has no Ego,

I would agree with that.

> is it impossible for a householder to attain
> this state?

Let's think about it.  What defines a householder?  family, a job, social
responsibilities.  Can any of these be done in a selfless way?  I think
not.  Imagine a parent for instance who didn't care if his children came
home at night or not.  He would be condemned as irresponsible not hailed
as a sannyasi.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \