Journey of Soul

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Wed Apr 23 06:06:19 CDT 1997

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Giri wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Gummuluru Murthy wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, journey of the soul (after leaving the body) is as
> > irrelevant as which supermarket to go to buy milk. I am surprised, in this
> > regard, how so many sages spent so much time discussing the journey of the
> > soul [mentioned in Brahma Sutras, Shri Shankara's writings for e.g.].
>
> Namaste.
>         It is may be irrelevant to an advanced sadhaka like you, but not
> to everyone else.  Shankara wrote for a wide variety of disciples. Look at
> upadeshasahasri and brahma suutra bhashya.

Greetings.  I am sure Shri Giri put it in a sarcastic way when he
mentioned _advanced_ sadhaka.  I have never regarded myself or wish to be
regarded as "advanced" sadhaka. If my posting gives indication of anything
like that, my apologies.

It was also not my intention to slight the contributions of the great
sages and gurus or anyone. If my posting came out that way (as perceived
by anyone), again my apologies.

My comment simply was "Atman does not travel anywhere and the sages and
gurus know that. Jeeva's death and what happens to jeeva after death are
(in my perspective and I am sure in the sages' perspective as well) are
trivial matter and I wondered whether undue importance was given to it.".
Shri Giri answered the question more than well in the context of approach
to disciples.

> AUM shaantiH

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Sarvaagamaanaa maachaarah prathamam parikalpathe !
                                          Sage Vyasa in Maha Bharatha

For all (incoming) knowledge, discipline is the most fundamental.