Spiritual Evolution and Samsara

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Thu Apr 10 16:43:06 CDT 1997

Charles A. Hillig wrote:

>     There is no way that you can possibly "get lost."   When samsara and
>maya show up for you to deal with, (and they always do_) then THAT is your
>path.   Then throw yourself into its seductions 100% but don't get attached
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>to any of it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This reminds me of a quote from the li.nga purANa which says (paraphrased)
"trying to achieve detachment by enjoying the pleasures first is like trying to
extinguish fire by pouring oil on it". The course of action you prescribe is
extremely dangerous and time and again all advaitic teachers have warned people
not to try such things. See for eg, "Talks with Ramana Maharshi" where a
questioner asks exactly the same thing, viz "throwing oneself at it's seduction
100% etc" and Ramana Maharshi gives the quote from the li.nga purANa. The
course of action you prescribe is more reminiscent of tantrik vAmAchAra
practice and would not be endorsed by any traditional advaitic teacher.

Vasanas are only strengthened by the satisfaction of desires and not the other
way around.

Ramakrishnan.
--
                  http://yake.ecn.purdue.edu/~rbalasub/