truce required

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Oct 31 09:10:42 CST 1996

The threads "Disciples of Sri Ramana Maharshi" and the ensuing thread
"Guru-disciple-enlightenment topic" are taking a shape of their own and
are almost on the point of destroying the Advaita Group. It is producing
more heat than light lately.

While Sri Ken Stewart's original enquiry is harmless, later discussion
brought in names of disciples of Sri Ramana Maharshi whom someone branded
as false gurus without producing evidence.

What I consider an unfortunate editing mistake by Sri Ramakrishnan
attributed that statement wrongly to Sri Ken Stewart and that took a
shape of its own. Under such circumstances, Ken's plea for proper
attribution of statements is not getting much of attention. Similarly,
the request by Sri Giri to stop slandering people without any evidence
is not getting much attention either.

The Group seems to be in a charged atmosphere, and the peace required
(for the contemplation in the Self) is getting destroyed.

May I suggest, before any further damage is done, that we refrain posting
on this topic anymore for the present. Many wrong attributions and false
slanders are still in place, but I think, it cannot be helped to clear
this without causing further damage.

Only a suggestion.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Adau ante ca yan nAsti vartamAnepi tat tathA !
                                GaudapAda in Mandukya kArika
What did not exist at the beginning and what is not going to exist at the
 end is as good as non-existent even in the present.