Disciples of Ramana

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Oct 29 12:29:24 CST 1996

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Gummuluru Murthy wrote:

> Any "enlightened" person will not go around, saying he/she is enlightened.
> The purely "enlightened" person does not care what the world thinks of
> him/her.

        I agree, but my point was the four people (Sadhu Arunachala,
Balaram Reddy, Kunju Swami, Ganapati Muni) mentioned never claimed to be
enlightened or a guru etc, afaik. It is wrong, imo, to slander people like
Ganapati Muni without any facts and claim that they claimed to be
enlightened after Ramana died, which is impossible as Rama pointed out.

> But, in any case, why this pre-occupation with whether x is "enlightened"
> or not rather than looking at ourselves ?
> Regards
> Gummuluru Murthy

        I agree. However, I did not like to see people being accused of
things which they never said or did.
        As I mentioned sometime back on this guru issue, if we place
importance in the outer actions of "Guru" ONLY, then we have to consider
that some people normally considered "enlightened" smoked, ate fish etc
and we seem to only associate them with their body, which is against the
spirit of their teaching itself.
        I will refrain from posting on this thread anymore.

Giri