Ancient Knowledge, New Knowledge

sadananda sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Thu Oct 10 12:49:58 CDT 1996

>>> " We must bring them together (as appropriate, of course) so people today
>see the message of the old texts in today's terms."
>>
>>Aikya

Check Hilling worte:

>      If nothing has ever been really "apart,"
>  then what is there that can be
>"brought together?"
--------
Sir, As Vidya indicated once in his posts, the study of scriptures has a
role to play within the totality.  In the realization that nothing can be
really apart, even this bringing together is part of the divisions in the
indivisiable since  Aikya could write and post to the advaita list  and you
could read and respond to it!

 As Dattatreya says in Avadhuuta Giita:

Aham dhyaataa param dyeyam akhandam kadhate katham?  - I am a meditator
that has to be meditated upon - how can one divide in the indivisible!

- yet there is a teaching of Avadhuuta and to whom? Teacher and the tought
are the divisions too, in the very teaching of the scriptures that teaches
unity! Sadhana is part of the agyaana and vyaavaharika,  and are
instrumental to facilitate for the gyaana.

>     And what is all of this about "old texts"  vs.  "new texts"
>                      ????????????????????????
>
>     The study of either only gives the so-called ego
>                                                          something  to
>"cling to"
>
>    (or,  even worse, something to make itself  RIGHT about!!)
>
>     The old or new texts won't "set you free."
>
>     Find out, first,
>        WHO thinks
>                   that they are
>                                 "in bondage"
>                          and WHO is this one who, supposedly,  needs this
>"release!"
>
>                                 With Blessings,
>
>                                                          Chuck Hillig

The one who needs is the one who is in bondage and is searching for an
answer. One can tell him that the very search is ignorence, and it implies
that the seeker is not the sought. That teaching will not help him untill
you can teach him convincingly  using shaastra pramaana that, that is
indeed true. For that reason one needs the sastraas!

The reason I am responding to this is that my recent request for references
got burried in the oblivian.  I am looking for besides the mahavaakyaas any
other sciptural statements from the prastaanatraya - B.G., Brahma Sutra or
Upanishads that catorically supports the adviatic theory!  Any help in
this?

Hari Om!
Sadananda