mind, the mischief-maker (was Re: LIFE)

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Fri Oct 4 06:49:28 CDT 1996

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Charles A. Hillig wrote:

> At 02:46 PM 10/1/96 -0230, you wrote:
> >On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Charles A. Hillig wrote:
> >

>         The Silence is NOT  "chained."  IT is ever present.
> >>
> >Yes, the silence is ever present. I agree. But, why is silence not
> >accessible to us then?
>
>    But, isn't this a bit like "begging the question?"  First, you're
> assuming that  "...silence is not accessible to us" and then you're asking
> "So, why isn't it?"
>
>     But suppose there IS no difference between Silence and who you think YOU
> are.   Then the question of "accessibility to it" becomes unimportant since
> it (and ONLY "IT") is the only Reality at all.
>

> > We all have a sense for the beauty of silence
> >and look forward to be in its noble presence. But we are not able to do
> >it. Why?  I contend the enemy is the mind, which would not let us go into
> >the company of silence. That is why, my feeling is that the mind is the
> >biggest source of the problem.
> >
>      If you argue for your limitations, they're yours.     In order for us
> to pass into a dreamless sleep at night, don't we have to leave behind
> everything (and everyone) that's "near and dear" to us.  We can only,
> seemingly, "go" into this silence with an empty mind, empty hands, empty
> heart.  Everything else must be "left" at the "door."
>
>      The Silence is not "enter-able."  Believing that it is, only
> perpetuates the illusion of do-ership and that it is not fully present here
> and now..

>         The biggest so-called problem may be to get past the delusion that
> there IS
>  a "separate Mind" that's creating all of this mischief.
>
> >I would be grateful if you expand on this. You seem to be saying that
> >there is no problem at all and the only so-called problem is the delusion
> >that there is a problem. Am I reading you right ?
>
>      Yes.  Maharshi said that the greatest obstacle to enlightenment was to
> get past the illusion that you're not already enlightened.  Bondage is
> illusory.   Right now, the "you-who-you-think-you-are" is only dreaming that
> it's awake.  And a  big part of that dream is that, SOMEDAY,  (if you play
> your cards right), you will, eventually, "awaken" and "become enlightened."
>
> >I consider the mind to be an obstacle because of its wandering nature.
> >
> >While the Atman is ever free and all-encompassing, still the body and the
> >mind give us the individuality that we are forced to accept for the life
> >of the body. It is of paramount importance that the body and the mind
> >are controlled by the Atman so that when we speak, it is the Atman that
> >speaks and when we interact with the rest of the world, the body and the
> >mind obey the commands of the Atman. The body lives in this unreal world
> >and the mind which is the receptacle of the perceptions of the sense-
> >organs reacts to this unral world. The recognition is made of the
> >unreality of the body and the thoughts that the sense organs bring (the
> [...]

Thanks for clarifying some points for me re the mind.

I would like to come back to the point whether there is a problem with the
mind (my argument) and that there is no problem at all and there is only
a perception that there is a problem (Sri Chuck Hellig's point). I quote
below from Upadesa Sahasri (ch 19 where the text is put as the Self
addressing the mind. The translation quoted is from Upadesa Sahasri,
commentary by Jagadananda, Ramakrishna Math., Madras).

The Self addresses the mind:

"... It is proper for you to remain quiet. You indulge in vain ideas
like 'me' and 'mine'. You have no consciousness of things. I (the Self)
am always contented and have no desires. ..." (verse 2)

"... According to Sruti, one who is by nature beyond the six waves
(hunger, thirst, grief, delusion of the mind, old age and death of the
body) is the Self (Reference is also made to Bhagavad Gita 10.20) ..."
(verse 4)

"... In deep sleep, when the mind is merged, there is no difference left
which delude people. When awoke again, all wrong notions and delusions
start. The cause of all wrong notions is the perception by the mind of
the reality of difference. These wrong notions disappear as soon as one
is free from this perception. ..." (verse 5)

    The root cause for the perception of the reality of difference is the
    mind. That is, the mind sees only the duality. We know it is not
    correct and hence what is perceived by the mind is wrong.

"... Because I know the Truth, I am not deluded by your (mind's) efforts.
I am free from all bondage and change. ..." (verse 6)

"... It is ascertained that everything created by the mind is
non-existent. ..." (verse 7)

"... Having birth and death, you are accepted as non-existent. ..."
(verse 8)

     It is the same Self in deep sleep and in wake-up (and dream) states.
     In the deep-sleep state, the mind being merged, does not cause
     mischief. In the wake-up sate also, it is the same Self, but the
     mind sarts making mischief, because it perceives what it thinks
     is the reality of difference. That wrong notion, I believe, is
     the mischief-making factor of the mind.

     So what need to be done is to keep the mind in the same quiescent
     state as in the deep sleep state. If not, the mind creates the
     world and acts rough-shod. So how can the mind be controlled in the
     awake state ?

     I trust I have quoted the Upadesa Sahasri correctly and not out
     of context.

     I would be most grateful for any clarifications.

     Regards
     Gummuluru Murthy