JIVA-MAN

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Mon Nov 18 14:29:41 CST 1996

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Anand Hudli wrote:

>   Now, according to classical Vedanta, a householder cannot stop
>   doing karma, and yet remain as a householder. The only option is
>   to take up sannyaasa. So this logical means that one has to be a
>  sannyaasii in order to practice jnaana.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^ jnaana marga, i guess.

        This is reiterated at many places, including the commentaries on
Br. U, as Vyas pointed out. Shankara even notes that only Brahmins are
allowed to become sanyas in his commentary of Br. U.  I think Sureshvara
corrects this in his sambandhavartika.

>   Again, this is a difficult matter, since later advaitins have
>   argued for jiivanmuktas being in the midst of samsaara, performing
>   karmas, although without any attachment to those karmas. It seems
>   to be safe to assume that it is extremely rare for a person to
>   get liberated (mokshha) while engaged in worldly life.
>  Anand

        Actually, it is so rare that we can only point at exceptions
(Janaka etc) rather the general case. However, as Ramana Maharshi notes
unless it is someone's prarabdha that one take sanyas, it will not
happen. And it is his prarabdha that he take sanyas, then the question
'Should I take sanyas' will not arise. I can get the exact quotes from
'Talks with Ramana' or the newsletter, if needed.
        imho, one should carry out the duties diligently. 'I am already
enlightened' cannot be used as an excuse to escape from duties. Karma-yoga
is a necessary step.
        Since the jnana marga is restricted to a few, isn't the path of
sharangati (surrender) much easier and open to everyone irrespective of
caste, gender etc, according to advaita (and Bhagavad gita) ?

Namaste.

Giri