What is Maayaa? (Maayaa Panchaka verse)

Anand Hudli ahudli at APPN.CI.IN.AMERITECH.COM
Mon Nov 11 09:51:40 CST 1996

  Maayaa Panchaka of Shankara has this to say:

 nirupamanityaniraMshake .apyakhaNDe
 mayi chiti sarvavikalpanaadishuunye |
 ghaTayati jagadiishajiivabhedaM
 tvaghaTitaghaTanaapaTiiyasii maayaa ||

 nirupamanityaniraMshake - in (me who am) incomparable, eternal, without
                           parts,

 apyakhaNDe - also indivisible
 mayi - in me
 chiti - (who am) Consciousness
 sarvavikalpanaadishuunye -  and devoid of all differentiations and the
                             like,
 ghaTayati - makes compatible or possible
 jagadiishajiivabhedaM -  the distinction between the Lord of the world
                          and the individual soul (jiiva)
 tvaghaTitaghaTanaapaTiiyasii maayaa - maayaa  is indeed an expert in
                                        making incompatible things
                                        compatible

 Translation:

    In me who am incomparable, eternal, partless, indivisible,
    Consciousness, and without all differentiations and the like, It (Maayaa)
    makes possible the distinction between the Lord of the world (God) and
    the individual soul (jiiva). Indeed, Maayaa is an expert in making
    incompatible things compatible!

 Anand