ADVAITA-L Digest - 25 May 1996 to 27 May 1996

Sankar Jayanarayanan kartik at ENG.AUBURN.EDU
Tue May 28 14:13:54 CDT 1996

> I used to have occasional lucid dreams few years ago(after my 12th, when
> I read about astral travelling). I dont have them anymore. They used to
> be lot of fun. You can do some outrageous things like fly, go through
> walls, jump off cliffs and smoothly land on the ground ..etc
> Sometimes, such outrageous events used to give me the knowledge that
> I am dreaming (this is by deduction within the dream).

Hi,

True. It's possible to be aware of the dream while dreaming. And it's quite an
experience. :-) But is it by deduction (inference by logic) that we come to that
conclusion in the dream?

Please don't misunderstand this, just citing an example: if someone were to
push you from a cliff and you did land safely on soft "ground" (say, a mattress)
would you consider that to be a dream?

More probably, is it not intuition of some sort that helps us realize the
unreality of the dream (in lucid dreaming) ?

Regards,
Kartik