What is Real? Everything

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Fri Jun 21 23:22:08 CDT 1996

Ian wrote:
>  At 11:07 PM 6/21/96 GMT, egodust wrote:
>
>  > Is the experience of samadhi itself logical?
>
> IAN: If we define "logic" as "that which is true," then yes.
> As such, a sequence of words that points to the truth is
> a logical -- i.e., truthful -- statement.

As best I can tell, samadhi is within yet beyond logic and illogic.  If this,
in turn, can be defined as logic, then 'logic' can mean virtually anything.
Samadhi is the *experience* of the Absolute.  The Absolute has no relative
characteristics.  How can samadhi, therefore, be ITSELF logical or [as you
stated later in the post] of "the clear light" or any other feature?  The
closest accurate description is perhaps 'void', yet this is *very* misleading,
having caused people to equate it with nihilism.  The vedantins have come
up with the idea--in attempting to describe the indescribable--that it's
conveyed in terms of: not not-Being, not not-Consciousness, not not-Bliss.
And they're quick to caution us to forget even that definition, so as not to
cause the Mind to get attached to yet another concept. "The Mind is the slayer
of the Real."

>  > One may (or may not!) use
>  > logic to induce samadhi, but, within its *primal current*, is logic being
>  > ACTIVELY utilized in order to maintain it?
>

> IAN: Excellent way of stating your point, now I clearly see it.
> I would have to say that it is impossible to draw a distinction
> between samadhi -- the Self in its immaculate shinning glory --
> and anything else assumed to be other than the radiant Self.

As I've attempted to point out several times, I concur with your approach.
It works quite well.  Our only point of contention is (as I've finally been
able to clearly state above): Is logic something that needs to be ACTIVELY
APPLIED in order to sustain the samadhi state?  Do we have to continuously
apply these formulas and methods, for example, AFTER jivanmukti (permanent
Liberation)?  Logic (as well as ALL methods, including Self-enquiry) is a
means, not an end.  Once the goal is reached, the method can be discarded.
When an artist finishes his painting, the brush isn't pasted on the canvas!

Namaste.