Question on apowrusheyatva

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Fri Jun 21 16:51:30 CDT 1996

Hello all,

I have been following the debate which has originated in the dvaita mailing
list on the apowrusheyatva of the vedas. This is a very important thing for
them, since they have to "prove" why they cannot be wrong as long as they
follow the vedas. (Oh, apowrusheyatva = not composed by anyone)

What is the advaitic position on this? I am generally curious about this.
gauDapaada says that what is arrived at by logic and what is also said
by the vedas is alone correct. So he dismisses theories of creations etc in the
vedas as illustrations for beginners. This attitude seems very logical to me,
as one need not twist verses to suit their pre-conceived notions. Any comments?

Ramakrishnan.
--
Two monks were arguing about a flag. One said, "The flag is moving." The other
said, "The wind is moving." The sixth patriarch happened to be passing by. He