ADVAITA-L Digest - 9 Jun 1996 to 10 Jun 1996

Srinivas Sista sista at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Mon Jun 10 13:45:30 CDT 1996

IAN wrote:

> An interesting observation:
>
> If the statement > All statements about the truth are false < is true,
> then it, being a statement about the truth (defining it as beyond words),
> is false. If it is false, then all statements about the truth are true.
> As it is itself one of those statements, it is true, yet if it is
> true it is false, if false then true, if....  A <=> ~A
>
> The truth, the whole, contains all words, and each word contains the whole.

If I may point out, the falsity of the original statement doesn't guarantee
that all statements about the truth are true. It just fails to give us any
indication about the truth/falsity of the statements about truth.

Srinivas.