Bhagavad Gita, True Nature and Advaita

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Jun 4 18:17:47 CDT 1996

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, M & E Shearn wrote:

>                             Loud words > and Large > letters are > for
the mind > I am ever > Subtle upholding body, > Silent upholding word, >
Stillness upholding mind. > Om Shanti. > > ej > > > in Him > love > e.j.

        Though the words and letters are just for the mind and not for
the Self, one can not dismiss them as being fruitless. If so, jnani-s
like Shankara wouldn't spend time writing slokas, books etc.
        The words are supposed to still the mind and destroy the ego, not
describe the Self.  While a realized jnani may say the mind and the ego
does not exist in reality, he too has to communicate using words [atleast
in e-mail], though it is acknowledged that there are methods of
communication other than words.
        Even saying 'I am the subtle upholding body' etc is not correct;
The Self (I) can only be said as 'I am not the body, not this.. etc'.
What you are is not important, learn what you are not, that's enough.

Namaste.