Bhagavad Gita, True Nature and Advaita

Ram Chandran CHANDRA2 at ERS.BITNET
Tue Jun 4 10:42:57 CDT 1996

I am a new entrant to Advaita List. I will send my "introduction" later this
week. I want to share my insights from Bhagavad Gita on Advaita.
I could be partially or totally wrong. But the truth can be found only by
enquiry. That is the TRUTH.

Here is my interpretation of the essence of the dialogue between
Lord Krishna and Arjun in Bhagavad Gita. It should be pointed out
that Gita does not support or object "Advaita Philosophy." The
implicit message is that One should get rid of self (ego) to
realize SELF.  Arjun's answer to the Lord is summarized in verse
18:73 "nasto mohah smrtir labdha tvatprasadaan mayaa cyuta sthito
 smi gatasamdehah karisye vacanam tava."

Destroyed is my delusion and recognition has been gained by me
through Thy grace, O Acyuta (Krishna), I stand firm with my
doubts dispelled. I will act according to Thy word. Arjuna
assures the Lord that he is able to understand his "True Nature"
and is ready to free himself from egoistic actions and desires.

If and when we understand our true nature our Actions will become
free from selfishness. Such an action becomes an "inaction." In
True Nature, the actions of animals and plants are inactions.
For example, actions of the flowering plants and fruit bearing
trees are spontaneous. They are the noblest acts of "True Nature"
which benefit the humanity.  We more often proud to call "my
plant" and "my tree" as though we came to this world with those
assets of the nature! This presence of divinity can be seen if we
are willing to get rid of egoistic actions.  Divinity is shadowed
by the human actions such as the destruction of forests,
pollution of air, river, body and mind!

Advaita implies understanding One's "True Nature"
TRUTH is buried in our True Nature and there are no ILLUSIONS.
True Nature illuminates Light without any darkness.
True Nature neither creates nor destroys.
All actions in True Nature are spontaneous without results.
All actions without results are inactions.
In True Nature there is total Peace with no room for conflicts.
True Nature is always Beautiful and never ugly.
True Nature is full of Happiness with no sorrow.
True Nature has only Goodness and Kindness.
True Nature loves everybody and hates nobody.
True Nature silences body, Mind, Intelligence and EGO.
EGO is the root of Creation which destroys the True Nature.
EGO kindles Desire, seeds Selfish Action and expects RESULTS.
Creation is the MIRROR IMAGE OF RESULT.
Mind slaves the Body and forces it to perform Actions.
Result is an ILLUSION imagined by the Mind.
Illusion is the Result of the Action.
Illusion pervades mind, body and intelligence.
Illusion generates darkness that shadows the LIGHT.
Illusion emits Selfishness and promotes HATE.
Conflict, Ugliness, Sorrow and Corruption invade.

Advaita means no duality.
There is neither action, nor creation nor illusion.
Truth is always the TRUTH and Illusion is always an ILLUSION.

                  ***************************
                  **    Have a Nice Day!   **
                  ***************************

*  You are the only one to judge your actions for awards and punishments  *
*  An Act of Kindness is its Greatest Reward which always comes with it   *
*  No Act of Sin can escape from Severe Punishment from the Conscience    *
*  To Experience True Happiness one has to renounce the rewards of an act *
*                  Subtle Message from Bhagavad Geeta                     *

|   Ram V. Chandran      || email: chandra2%ers.bitnet at vtbit.cc.vt.edu   ||
|   9374 Peter Roy Ct.   || internet: chandran at mailbox.econ.ag.gov       ||
|   USA                  || Phone: 703-912-5790 (H)  202-501-7082 (W)    ||