bhakti/jnana

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Mon Jun 3 17:48:32 CDT 1996

> On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, egodust wrote:
> =>> >
> =>>
> =>> Sri Ramakrishna is the premier bhakta.  Yet one of His main teachers was
> =>> an uncompromising advaitin.  Thereafter He always reserved advaita as His
> =>> secret doctrine, which was disseminated to those ready for it.
>  Yes thats true.  He says he wanted to learn Truth of vendanta and so asked
> Mother to teach him for that reason Nangta or Totapuri came.  He was a
> vedantist of high order.  What he took forty years to learn Sri ramakrishna
> reached that state within three days.  But that was the not the only reason
> for Nangta to come to Sri Ramakrishna.  He was to learn that God is also has
> form. This is the Truth which Mother Kali wanted Totapuri to learn hence She
> sent Him to Sri Ramakrishna.
>  He stayed for More than One year with Sri Ramakrishna to learn this.  He
> never stayed anywhere that long because he belonged to a group that always
> used to move idea being that One should not be attached to a place of
> stay.

Yes.  I'm aware of this.  I'm sure you've also read PATHWAY TO GOD by
Sw. Lokeswarananda (not sure of exact title, though).

>         So truly speaking there is Guru relationship in from sides.
> Anyway speaking of Guru One King Janaka was approached by Suka for learning
> knowledge of Indivisible Brahman.  Then king Janaka asked him to pay
> him the fees for teaching.  Then Suka replied why he was asking him for the
> fees before he was taught.  Janaka replied that the relation between
> Guru and Sishya will not exist once you attain Brahma Jnana.
>
>         I was only mentioning my choice not marking them seperate.

Thanks for clarifying.  Actually I thought that you were already quite aware of
what I was apparently rebutting.  It only *appeared* otherwise.

Of course jnana or bhakti stands out one above the other, tailored, as needed,
to suit the yogamarga of each vedantist.

praNaam.