" Sankara's formula "

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Thu Jul 18 23:05:49 CDT 1996

egodust wrote:
> The popular zen koan is very similar, although it also alludes to
> transcending logic, which is the essential thrust of the koan method
> and rinzai zen. To wit:
>
>               A is A, therefore A is not A.
>
> (Note that it is specifically written 'not A' and not 'not-A', which
> indicates that it suggests an overthrow of logic rather than a strict
> advaitic formula.  In which case both ways make advaitic sense, no?)

I usually proofread whatever I post.  I didn't here, and it shows.  Only
because I overlooked mentioning that 'overthrowing logic...makes advaitic
sense', which I know is a trigger for semantical disparity between us.
Please forgive.  Nevertheless, let's apply the advaitic formula, and
perhaps clarify:

Parabrahmam = (logic + illogic)
= mahamownam (the great Silence)