Desire for salvation (Re: Who am I ?)

M Suresh msuresh at INDIA.TI.COM
Fri Jul 12 11:12:34 CDT 1996

  I see the point some of you were trying to make about
  the need for desire for salvation.

  I suppose a pure and deep desire for salvation is okay
  as long as it does not become an imitation of some of
  the material desires one may be subjected to.

  But when I quoting Ramana Maharishi, I was not putting
  it as his view by interpreting his words alone. He has
  explicitly said that perfect surrender means the lack of
  desire of salvation.

  A devotee tells Ramana Maharishi that he/she has surrendered
  everything to god and asks him when he/she will get realization.
  Ramana Maharishi replies that even such a desire should not
  be there.

  Regarding the perils of enquiry pointed out by Vidyashankar,
  Ramana Maharishi has said that enquiry can be practiced by
  anyone irrespective of caste, race, sex etc. However he says
  that if one is not fit for enquiry then he should resort to
  surrender which is also applicable to all.

  I do not think enquiry has any dangers associated with it
  like other forms of meditation, hatha yoga etc. may have which
  require them to have the personal guidance of a guru at all
  times.

-Suresh.