new version of advaita home page

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Tue Aug 27 22:36:41 CDT 1996

Dear members of the advaita list,

I have decided to try a new style for transliteration of devanagari script
on the advaita home page. In this version, I have done away with the use
of capital letters to represent long vowels and hard consonants. Instead,
I am using the accent symbols acute, macron, middot and tilde to
transliterate. I would appreciate it very much if members of this list
gave me their feedback on how it looks. Writing with caps is easier,
specifying the accents as ASCII characters is more time-consuming.
However, if there is a general opinion that the use of accents makes
reading much easier, I will change the other pages accordingly. The only
problem is that it will take some time to effect all the necessary
changes.

OLD Version: http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~vidya/advaita/advaita/html
NEW Version: http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~vidya/advaita/advaita1.html

Regards,
S. Vidyasankar
>From ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU Tue Aug 27 22:06:15 1996
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:06:15 -0700
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Giri <gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU>
Subject: Re: new version of advaita home page
Comments: To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at tamu.edu>

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

> on the advaita home page. In this version, I have done away with the use
> of capital letters to represent long vowels and hard consonants. Instead,
> I am using the accent symbols acute, macron, middot and tilde to
> transliterate. I would appreciate it very much if members of this list
> gave me their feedback on how it looks. Writing with caps is easier,

        I may belong to a very small minority of people who use lynx as
the WWW browser (since it is much faster) but these symbols really look
weird on such a browser. I hope other browsers support these accent symbols.

Thanks.

Giri

>From  Wed Aug 28 06:36:44 1996
Comments: To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

Hello,

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:06:15 -0700, Giri <gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU>
wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:
>
>> on the advaita home page. In this version, I have done away with the use
>> of capital letters to represent long vowels and hard consonants. Instead,
>> I am using the accent symbols acute, macron, middot and tilde to
>> transliterate. I would appreciate it very much if members of this list
>> gave me their feedback on how it looks. Writing with caps is easier,
>
>        I may belong to a very small minority of people who use lynx as
>the WWW browser (since it is much faster) but these symbols really look
>weird on such a browser. I hope other browsers support these accent symbols.

You can get Microsoft Internet Explorer (browser) for free, and then
you can turn off pictures, sounds, and videos, and then it should be
at least as fast as lynx, but will have the advantage of supporting
more recent HTML syntax and commands.

Cheers,

Ken                         <*>
kstuart at mail.telis.org