The three states of the soul

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Mon Aug 5 15:33:30 CDT 1996

          There was discussion earlier in this Group about the three states of
          the soul. I gather from that discussion as well as my readings from
          other sources that

          1. The Turiya is a silent witness to all the three states [Dream,
          wake-up and deep-sleep).

          2. The dream state and the wake-up state are both equally unreal.
          No state is more real than the other. When we get to the wake-up
          state from the dream state, we realize that the dream is after-all
          unreal. Similarly, when we get to the gNana (Realized) state from
          the wake-up state, we realize that the wake-up state is after-all
          unreal.

          3. In the deep-sleep state, the mind and the body are completely
          subdued and retreat into the presence of paramAtma in the
          HR^daya guhya. Consciousness remains. Ego is the experiencer of
          the deep-sleep state.

          Please correct me if my above concepts are wrong. Now, my
          question is related to these concepts. Advances in medical
          technology have created another state when the person is under full
          anaesthesia and has lost "consciousness (?)".  In what way does that
          state differ from the deep-sleep state?  Who is the experiencer of
          this state?

          I thank you for your patience.

          Regards
          Gummuluru Murthy
Adau ante ca yan nAsti vartamAnepi tat tathA !
                                GaudapAda in Mandukya kArika
What did not exist at the beginning and what is not going to exist at the
 end is as good as non-existent even in the present.