- M. T. Sahasrabuddhe, A Survey of the Pre-Sankara Advaita
Vedanta, Univ. of Poona, 1968.
- Karl H. Potter (ed.), Encyclopedia of Indian
Philosophies, vol. 3, chapter 1, pp. 3-4, Princeton University Press,
LC Call No.: B131 .E5 1977 vol. 3
- Sangam Lal Pandey, Pre-Sankara Advaita Philosophy, Darshan Peeth,
Allahabad, 2nd ed., 1983.
LC Call No.: B132.A3 P36
- Hajime Nakamura, A History of Early Vedanta Philosophy,
translated by Trevor Leggett et. al., Motilal Banarsidass, 1983.
LC Call No.: B132.V3 N2413 1983
Numerous publications of Sankara's upanishad bhAshyas and
prakaraNa treatises exist. In fact, there are so many of them that
it is impossible to list them all here. Therefore, I give references only
for comprehensive collections of these works. Detailed lists of references
are given for the brahmasUtra bhAshya, bhagavadgItA bhAshya,
upadeSasAhasrI, vivekacUDAmaNi, and pancIkaraNa,
because these are extremely popular texts. Some publications of Sankara's
yoga texts are also listed, but for the opposite reason: they are not very
well-known. If you are looking for translations of specific upanishad
bhAshyas or prakaraNa texts, search for publications
from Chaukhamba (Varanasi, Delhi), Motilal Banarasidass (Varanasi, Delhi),
Samata Books (Madras), Chetana (Bombay), Anandasrama (Pune) and Ramakrishna
Math (many Indian cities), to name only a few publishers.
- The discussion about authorship of the four prakaraNas
of the mANDUkya-kArikas may be found in the following texts, and also
in references 5 and 6 below.
- Manilal N. Dvivedi, The Mandukyopanishad with Gaudapada's Karikas,
and the Bhashya of Sankara, Theosophical Publication Fund, Bombay,
- Emile Lesimple, Mandukya upanisad et Karika de Gaudapada,
Adrien-Maisonneuve, Paris, 1944. (in French)
- Swami Chinmayananda, Discourses on Mandukya Upanishad with Gaudapada's
Karika, Chinmaya Publication Trust, Madras, 1966.
LC Call No.: BL1120.A632 1966
- Raghunath D. Kamarkar, Gaudapada-karika, with English translation,
notes and appendices, Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, Pune,
LC Call No.: B132.A3 3813 1973
- Swami Nikhilananda, The Mandukyopanishad with Gaudapada's Karika
and Sankara's commentary, 6th ed., Sri Ramakrishna ashrama, Mysore,
LC Call No.: BL1124.7.M372 E5 1974
- T. M. P. Mahadevan, Gaudapada : a study in early Advaita, 4th ed.,
University of Madras, 1975
LC Call No.: B132.A3
- Colin A. Cole, Asparsa-yoga : a study of Gaudapada's Mandukya
Karika, Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi, 1982.
LC Call No.: BL1124.7.M376 G3833 1982
- Karunesa Sukla, Acarya Gaudapada aur Pracina Vedanta, Nagarjuna
Bauddha Samsthana, Gorakhpur, 1983. (in Hindi)
LC Call No.: B132.A3 S824 1983
- S. M. Shaha, The dialectic of knowledge and reality in Indian
philosophy: Kundakunda, Nagarjuna, Gaudapada, and Sankara, Eastern
Book Linkers, Delhi, 1987
LC Call No.: B132.D6
- Swami Gambhirananda, The Mandukya-karika : Mandukya upanisad &
Gaudapada-karika, with an English rendering, Ramakrishna Math, Trichur,
LC Call No.: BL1124.7.M376 G3813 1987
- Stephen Kaplan, Hermeneutics, holography, and Indian idealism : a study
of projection and Gaudapada's Mandukya karika, Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi,
LC Call No.: B828.45 .K37 1987
- Vidhushekhara Bhattacharya, The Agamasastra of Gaudapada, Motilal
Banarsidass, Delhi, 1989.
LC Call No.: B131 .G35413
- Douglas A. Fox, Dispelling illusion : Gaudapada's Alatasanti, with an
introduction, SUNY Press, Albany, 1993.
LC Call No.: B132.A3 F69 1993
- Natalia V.Isaeva, From early Vedanta to Kashmir
Shaivism: Gaudapada, Bhartrhari, and Abhinavagupta, SUNY Press, Albany,
LC Call No.: B132.V3 I73 1995
- Richard King, Early Advaita Vedanta: The Mahayana
Context of the Gaudapadiya Karikas, SUNY Press, Albany, 1995.
LC Call No.: B132.A3 K53 1995
- Collections of Works
- Sri Sankara Granthavali - Complete Works of Sri Sankaracarya in the
original Sanskrit, v. 1-10, revised ed., Samata Books, Madras, 1998.
(Originally published from Sri Vani Vilas Press, Srirangam, 1910ff.,
under the direction of the Sringeri
LC Call No.: B133.S46 A2 1981
- Sankaracaryera Granthamala, v. 1-4, Basumati Sahitya Mandira,
Calcutta, 1995. (complete works with Bengali translation and
LC Call No.: B133 .S46 1995
- Upanishad-bhashya-sangraha, Mahesanusandhana Samsthanam, Mt. Abu,
1979-1986. Sankara's bhAshyas on the kaTha, mANDUkya, taittirIya,
chAndogya and bRhadAraNyaka upanishad, with Anandagiri's TIkAs and other
LC Call No.: BL1124.56 .S26
- Prakarana-dvadasi, Mahesanusandhana Samsthanam, Mt. Abu,
1981. A collection of twelve prakaraNa texts, with commentaries.
LC Call No.: B133 .S47 1981
- brahmasUtra bhAshya
- Edited with Marathi translation, by Kasinath Sastri Lele,
Srikrishna Mudranalaya, Wai, 1908.
LC Call No.:
Microfilm BUL-MAR-321 (B)
- Edited with vaiyAsika-nyAyamAla of bhAratItIrtha, and Marathi
commentary, by Vishnu Vaman Bapat Sastri, Pune, 1923.
LC Call No.: Microfilm GDL-MAR-331 (B)
- Selections translated into English, by S. K. Belvalkar, Poona
Oriental Series no. 13, Bilvakunja, Pune, 1938.
- Edited with adhikaraNa-ratnamAlA of bhAratItIrtha, Sri Venkatesvara
Mudranalaya, Bombay, 1944.
LC Call No.: Microfiche
- Translated into English, by V. M. Apte, Popular Book Depot, Bombay,
LC Call No.: B132.V3 B19
- Translated into English, by George Thibaut, Dover, New York, 1962.
(reprint of Clarendon Press editions of The Sacred books of the East v.34, 38)
- Sri Sankaracarya Granthavali, no. 3, 1964.
LC Call No.: B132.V3 B2 1964
- Caukhamba Vidyabhavan, Varanasi, 1964.
Call No.: B132.V3 B22
- Selections translated into English, by S. N. Gajendragadkar, University
of Bombay, 1965.
LC Call No.: B132.V3 B2 1965
- Translated into German, by Paul Deussen, G. Olms, Hildesheim, 1966.
LC Call No.: B132.V3 B215 1966
- Commentary on first four sutras, translated into English, by Har Dutt
Sharma, Poona Oriental Series no. 70, Oriental Book Agency, Pune, 1967.
- Edited with Hindi commentary, by Balkoba Bhave, Paramdhama Prakashan,
LC Call No.: B132.V3 B18 1967b
- Commentary on first four sutras, translated into Gujarati, by Gautam V.
Patel, Sarasvati Pustaka Bhandara, Ahmedabad, 1971.
LC Call No.: B132.V3 .S36615
- Word index to the Brahma-sutra-bhasya of Sankara, University
of Madras, 1971-1973.
LC Call No.: B133.S5 W67
- V. H. Date, Vedanta explained : Sankara's commentary on the
Brahmasutras, Munshiram Manoharlal Publisher, New Delhi, 1973.
LC Call No.: B132.V3 B225313 1973
- Edited with brahmavidyAbharaNa of SrI advaitAnandasvAmin,
Samskrta Vidyasamiti, Madras, 1979.
LC Call No.:
B132.V3 S366 1976
- Translation by Swami Gambhirananda, Advaita Asrama, Calcutta 1965.
LC Call No.: B132.V3 B225
- Commentary on the first four sutras, with an English translation by
Swami Vimalananda Bharati, Maunaswami Granthamala, Sri Siddheswari Peetham,
LC Call No.: B133.S48 E5
- bhagavadgItA bhAshya
- Critically edited by Dinkar Vishnu Gokhale, Oriental Book Agency,
LC Call No.: n.a.
- Edited with Anandagiri's Tika, by Kasinath Sastri Agashe, Anandasrama,
LC Call No.: BL1138 .6 1970z
- Alladi Mahadeva Sastri, The Bhagavad Gita : with the commentary
of Sri Sankaracharya, Samata Books, Madras, 1977.
LC Call No.: BL1138.62 .E5 1977
- A. G. Krishna Warrier, Srimad Bhagavad Gita Bhashya of Sri
Sankaracarya, Ramakrishna Math, Madras, 1983.
LC Call No.: BL1138.66 .S2613 1983
- C. V. Ramachandra Aiyar, Sri Sanakra's Gita Bhashya, Bharatiya
Vidya Bhavan, Bombay, 1988.
LC Call No.:
BL1138.66 .S2613 1988
- Trevor Leggett, Realization of the Supreme Self : the Bhagavad
Gita Yogas, (translation of Sankara's commentary), Kegan Paul
International, London, 1995.
LC Call No.: B133.S49
- Sitarama Mahadeva Phadke, Sankaracaryakrta Upadesashasri,
Rasikaranjana Grantha Prasaraka Mandali, Pune, 1911. (with Marathi
LC Call No.: Microfilm BUL-MAR-025
- Paul Hacker, Unterweisung in der All-Einheits-Lehre der Inder:
Gadyaprabandha, (German translation of and notes on the Prose book of
the upadeSasAhasrI) L. Röhrscheid, Bonn, 1949.
LC Call No.: B133.S49 U6215 1949
- V. S. Gopalakrishna Aiyar and T. A. Venkatarama Aiyar, Atisankara
Bhagavatpadar Aruliya Upadesasahasri, Sri Ramayana Patippakam, Madras,
1971. (with Tamil translation and notes)
Call No.: B132.A3 S253818
- S. Subrahmanya Sastri, Upadesasahasri, with the Sahasrivivrti of
Anandagiri, Mahesanusandhana Samsthanam, Mt. Abu, 1978.
LC Call No.: B132.A3 S2538 1978
- Sengaku Mayeda, A thousand teachings : the Upadesasahasri of
Sankara, University of Tokyo Press, 1979.
LC Call No.: B133.S49 U6213 1979
Republished from SUNY Press,
LC Call No.: B133.S49 U6213
- A. J. Alston, The thousand teachings : Upadesasahasri of
Sri Sankaracarya, Shanti Sadan, London, 1990.
LC Call No.: B133.S463 U6413 1990
- Mayavati, Sri Sankaracaryaviracita Upadesasahasri - ek adhyayan,
Eastern Book Linkers, Delhi, 1991. (in Hindi)
LC Call No.: B133.S49 U6236 1991
- Edited with English translation, by Mohini Chatterjee, Theosophical
Publishing House, Madras, 1947.
- Ernest Wood, The Pinnacle of Indian Thought, Theosophical
Publishing House, Wheaton (Illinois), 1967. (English translation)
- Swami Prabhavananda and Christopher Isherwood, Shankara's Crest-jewel
of Discrimination, with A Garland of Questions and Answers, Vedanta Press, California, 1971.
LC Call No.: B133.S4 V52 1971
- Edited with Bengali translation, Sri Anandamayi Sangha, Varanasi,
LC Call No.: B133.S43 V5813
- Edited with English translation, by Swami Madhavananda, Advaita Asrama,
- Edited with Telugu translation and commentary, by Anumula Venkatasesha
Kavi, Kurnool, 1990.
LC Call No.: B133.S43 V5818
- Edited with English translation, by Swami Turiyananda, Ramakrishna
Math, Madras, 1992.
LC Call No.: B133.S49 V5813
- Edited with Hindi translation and commentary, by Nandalal Dasora,
Ranadhir Prakashan, Haridvar, 1994.
LC Call No.:
B133.S49 V5815 1994
- Edited with sureSvara's vArttika and vArttikAbharaNa of
abhinavanArAyaNendra sarasvatI (17th cent.), Sri Vani Vilas Press,
- Edited with Gujarati translation and notes, Sri Harihara Pustakalya,
LC Call No.: PK1859.R255 P36
- Edited with sureSvara's vArttika, and English translation, Advaita
Asrama, Calcutta, 1972.
LC Call No.: B133.S4 P3
- Edited with commentaries of sureSvara, Anandagiri, rAmatIrtha,
SAntyAnanda, gangAdhara, Caukhamba Samskrta Samsthana, Varanasi,
LC Call No.: B133.S48 H57 1983
- Edited with the pancIkaraNavArttika-vivaraNadIpikA of nArAyaNa
tIrtha (17th cent.), Tanjavur Sarasvati Mahal Library, Tanjavur, 1986.
LC Call No.: B133.S49 P3536 1986
- Yoga texts
- Edited with commentary by Ramarayachar, Jnanasramam, Kerala,
LC Call No.: MLCS 92/06041 (B)
- Edited with Sanskrit and Hindi commentaries by Pt. Venkatanatha and
Swami Dayananda, Varanasiya Samskrta Samsthana, Varanasi, 1982.
LC Call No.: B133.S49 Y6 1982
ApastambasUtra-adhyAtmapaTala-bhAshya (on adhyAtma-yoga)
- Trevor Leggett, The Complete Commentary by Sankara on the
Yogasutras, Kegan Paul International, London, 1990.
LC Call No.: B132.Y6 P278613 1990
- Trevor Leggett, Sankara on the Yogasutras, Routledge and Kegan
Paul, London, 1981.
LC Call No.: B132.Y6
- Allen W. Thrasher, The Advaita Vedanta of Brahmasiddhi,
Motilal Banarsidass, New Delhi, 1993.
LC Call No.:
B132.A3 T55 1993
- Madeleine Biardeau, La philosophie de Mandana Misra vue a partir
de la Brahmasiddhi, Ecole Francaise d'Extreme-Orient, Paris, 1969.
LC Call No.: B133.M342 B5
- R. Balasubramanian, Advaita Vedanta, University of Madras,
LC Call No.: B132.A3 B33
- S. Kuppuswami Sastri, Brahmasiddhi, by Mandanamisra, and commentary
by Sankhapani, with introduction, appendices and indexes, Sri Satguru
Publications, Delhi, 1984.
LC Call No.: B132.A3
- With English translation, introduction and notes, by J. M. van
Boetzelaer, Orientalia Rheno-Traiectina, v.12, Brill, Leiden, 1971.
- With English translation, introduction, annotation and indices, by R.
Balasubramanian, University of Madras, Madras, 1984.
LC Call No.: BL1124.7 .T356 S8713 1984
- Edited with Anandagiri's TIkA, Anandasrama, Pune, 1977.
- Edited with
Anandagiri's TIkA, Mahesanusandhana Samsthanam, Mt. Abu, 1982.
LC Call No.: BL1124.7.B756 S3638 1982
- A number of publications by Shoun Hino and K. P. Jog, from Motilal
Banarsidass, Delhi, 1982-1996. Check the following books and
LC Call No.: BL1124.7.B756 S34 1988
LC Call No.: BL1124.7.B756 S34 1990
LC Call No.: BL1124.7.B765 S34 1993
LC Call No.: BL1124.7.B75 S34 1995
LC Call No.: BL1124.7.B756 S34 1996
- sambandhavArttika, the introduction to the
- Edited with Bengali translation, by Dinesh Chandra Bhattacharya,
LC Call No.: B133.S49 B743713
- Edited with English translation and extracts from commentaries, by T.
M. P. Mahadevan, University of Madras, 1972.
Call No.: B132.A3 S83 1972
- Edited with English translation, by S. Venkataramana Aiyar and Krishna
Nath Chatterjee, Caukhamba Amarabharati Series, vol. 7, Varanasi, 1981.
LC Call No.: B132.A3 S8313 1981
- With notes and index by Col. G. A. Jacob, Vidyabhavan Sanskrit
Studies, no. 3, Chowkhamba Vidyabhavan, Varanasi, 1992. (with the
candrikA of jnAnottama miSra)
LC Call No.:
B132.A3 S828 1992
- Translations by A. J. Alston, Shanti Sadan, London, 1959 and
LC Call No.: B132.V3 S9 1959
LC Call No.: B132.A8 S9513 1971
- With English translation, introducion, annotation and indices, by R.
Balasubramanian, University of Madras, Madras, 1988.
LC Call No.: B132.A8 S9513 1988
- Edited with introduction and a commentary titled kleSApahAriNI,
by SrI saccidAnandendra sarasvatI, Adhyatma Prakasa Karyalaya, Holenarsipur,
LC Call No.: B132.A3 S9
- Edited with jnAnottama's candrikA and a Hindi commentary titled
naishkarmyaranjanI, by kRshNAnanda sAgara, Sri Madhavananda
Granthalaya, Varanasi, 1990.
LC Call No.:
B132.A3 S82816 1990
- Ras Vihari Dass, The essentials of Advaitism, Suresvara's
Naishkarmyasiddhi explained in English, Punjab Oriental Series, no. 21,
- C. Markandeya Sastri, Suresvara's contribution to Advaita, Sundari
Samskrita Vidyalaya, Vemur (A.P.), 1974.
LC Call No.: B133.S832 M37
- Sudha Jain, Advaitatattvamimamsa : Suresvaracaryakrta Naishkarmyasiddhi
ke pariprekshya mem, Pratibha Prakashan, Delhi, 1986. (in Hindi)
LC Call No.: BL1213.72 .J35 1986
- John Grimes, The Naishkarmyasiddhi of Suresvara, Sri Garib Das
Oriental Series, no. 136, Sri Satguru Publications, Delhi, 1992.
LC Call No.: B132.A3 G75 1992
- With English translation and notes, by D. Venkataramiah, Gaekwad's
Oriental Series, no. 107, Oriental Institute, Baroda, 1948.
- Edited with prakASAtman's vivaraNa, akhaNDAnanda's
tattvadIpana and sarvajnavishNubhaTTa's RjuvivaraNa, by S.
Subrahmanya Sastri, Mahesanusandhana Samsthanam, Mt. Abu, 1992.
LC Call No.: B132.V3 S33635 1992
- T. R. Srinivasan, Pancapadika of Padmapadacarya, Bhavani Book
Center, Madras, 1989.
LC Call No.: B132.V3 S366388
toTaka - (8th-9th cent.)
- Edited with a commentary titled Girisambhutaratna, by Swami Vidyananda Giri, Sri Kailash Ashrama, Rishikesh,
LC Call No.: B132.A3 T67
Last updated on May 5, 1999.