[Advaita-l] Buddha confirmed to preexisting social norms of the Vedic society of his time

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:11:58 EDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 4:19 PM, Kalyan via Advaita-l <

> //Here is a study that cites the Buddhist texts to show that the caste
> system
> was happily accepted therein://
>

> I wonder if you have read the article and the sources from which it quotes.

I read the article and found it to be quite well written. In fact there are
many such articles, for example:
http://www.vijayvaani.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?aid=2717    on Srilankan
Buddhist caste.  Here is another one:
http://web.uni-frankfurt.de/irenik/relkultur50.pdf

One may or may not agree with various writers. But the common point one
comes across is that there was a good presence of the caste factor in early
Buddhism as Buddha's words themselves are cited. Again, one may debate on
the authenticity, etc. of texts. That is a topic common to many systems.