[Advaita-l] Is Varna Changable?

Shashwata Shastri shashwata.unimas at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 21:59:24 EST 2018

Namaste,
Since ghata vAba can only generate ghata padArtha is it possible to
interchange varNas in the course of the recycle of rebirth? To make it more
simple and clear- do the mImamsAs agree? achArya kokileshwar Shastri
Mahodaya did bring an interesting discussion regarding the particular point
in his famous book advaitya vAda (Second chapter 'jeeva varga savrupa').
Purva Mimansa also agrees that change of one's varna is impossible
(Referring to Tantravartika). A dvija.h can only take birth in a dvija kula
since the process of being born is connected to the anadi samskara (We
atone for our sins and rejoice for our virtues and we take birth because of
adrishta and karmapeksha e.g production of corps for consumption and
maintaining ecological balance) that has been accumulated eternally. I
would like like to get valuable scholastic views from the learned scholars
highlighting the topic who are respected members of the group. Please do
not restrict the references only from puraANas (valid discussion is needed
since arthavAda has to be taken under consideration according to vAkya
shAstra) and chAndogya ( A certain mantra referring to the cause of
regeneration in different kulas or vamshas, achArya's commentary regarding
the verse has an important stance relating to the translation)

Best Regards,
Shashwata Chowdhury