[Advaita-l] Significance of Tharpanam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 07:18:47 EST 2018

On 26 Jan 2018 16:47, "Venkatachalapathi G via Advaita-l" <

Namaste,

While Tharpanam part belongs to karma kanda seeking to get more conviction
about the action as this group has elites who can shed light with
experience.

Normally Tharpanam performed for own linage Pitru and seeing importance
given for Bhishmashtami  with different Gotra.

1. How significantly it gives us some idea to perform tharpana for other
gotra.  Is it allowed or only for Bhishma ?
2. Is there any purpose associated with it like sidha sudhi?
3. Can we / Should we need to do tharpanam for Guru Parampara ?
4. What is the inner significance or meaning of tharpanam ?

Tarpanam during special occasions such as Mahalaya paksha is offered to a
wide range of persons such as relatives, Guru, Guru's wife, even friends,
etc. Many of these will be of different gotra.

Tarpanam means triptikaranam, pleasing. This gives the performer Chitta
shuddhi.

Swami Paramarthananda ji joke: Actually when you offer tea or coffee to
visitors you are doing tarpanam to them. But don't tell them that since it
will scare them and they will run away.

Regards
subbu

With respects,