[Advaita-l] Is Tirupati's Balaji a Buddhist deity (Avalokiteshwara)?

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 03:59:05 EST 2018

 Thanks for the excerpt, was a good read. Although I admit that the author is biased, the key issues raised are indeed plausible.
There are many similar themes in Buddhism and Vaishnavism - - Both are sects that revolted against orthodoxy- Equality of women and Shudras (on par with any high priest)- Both embraced the vernacular languages- Both have borrowed extensively from/rely on the agamas- Both endorse an oversimplified approach (against rituals/bhakti)- Both sects preach exclusive/supremacist philosophy (Buddha is the only way, Vishnu is the only true god)
I am sure there are many similarities and I have not even touched the socio-political history because it's outside the scope of this forum. I am not saying this is a bad thing. So what if Vaishnavism and Buddhism are similar? I believe we are already a liberal society where women are given sanyasa, foreigners are chanting rudram, no matter how coarsely. We have even somehow accepted that Buddha was an incarnation of Vishnu.
The core theme being similar, it might have been possible that Sri Ramanujacharya converted all Buddhist places of worship into Vaishnava ones. That was probably why he was exiled from the country? He was the actual pracchanna bauddha! From a psychological point of view, it is common for a thief to accuse the accuser as a thief(please note, this is just an example. I am not saying Sri Ramanujacharya was a thief! or a liar!). So in turn, the Vaishnavas branded the Shankarites as pracchanna Bauddhas. Interestingly, Ramanujacharya found a solace in Hoysala kingdom whose king was a Jaina.
Afterall, whether Buddhism or Vaishnavism, everyone were vying for political patronage. Post the demise of Buddhism in India, it entered through a backdoor called Vaishnavism - a different name/form but essentially the same philosophy at it's core. It's only after Ramanuja that pancharatra school became a sub-school within Vedanta and the Sri Vaishnavas were considered Brahmins! Whether Vaishnavism considers Vedas as pramana or not is immaterial because their interpretation is completely different (one god supreme).
Please pardon/ignore if you found this to be spiteful. Purely academic interest.