[Advaita-l] Is Tirupati's Balaji a Buddhist deity (Avalokiteshwara

Kalyan kalyan_kg at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 09:18:25 EST 2018

//All old arguments repeated ad nauseum, stemming from the premise that Brahmins were usurpers of everything good in Buddhism.//

Similar claims are made by Jains also, that Tirumala is the temple of the Jain deity Neminatha.

https://prearyan.blogspot.in/2010/03/tirupati-balaji-is-jain-temple-of.html?m=1

We also see similar claims from Saivaites that the deity is either Shiva or Shakti or Ganapati or Skanda (they are unable to decide what it is) :).

However, the Jain work Silapathikkaram should put to rest all speculations as it unambiguously identifies Venkateswara as Vishnu. All puranas also unambiguously identify it as Vishnu.

Having said that, personally, I wouldn't mind even if it is a Jain or Buddhist deity. yad bhAvam tad bhavati.

I have had the fortune to take darshan at a very close range. It is one of the most beautiful idols of Vishnu that I have ever seen. (I can attest to it that it is the image of a male deity). The image is very peaceful and appears to be smiling at you!

Regards
Kalyan