[Advaita-l] Question about Avaccheda vada

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 04:15:29 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Aditya Kumar via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
>
> So even if the pot breaks does Ishwara remain as a distinct entity? Also
> if maya is said to be Ishwaras upadhi, that means ishwara is bound by maya.
> In that case how can a jivas release from avidya also result in ishwaras
> release from maya? If maya does not ever bother ishwara like spider and its
> web that means maya is not an upadhi of ishwara.

We have to understand that the Chaitanya, with the Upadhi of Maya is
Ishvara and jiva with shuddha and malina sattva maya respectively.  While
shuddha sattva does not bind Ishwara, malina sattva binds the jiva. This is
how they are placed. Thus, jiva is in bondage and Ishwara is never in
bondage. Ishwara is nitya mukta, only there for managing the cosmos,
bandha-moksha vyavahara of jivas, etc. When a jiva attains liberation
through knowledge, from that jiva's point of view there are no other jivas,
no world and no Ishwara as different entities from him (Brahman).  Hence,
the question of maya not bothering Ishwara is thus answered. Maya is a
shakti in the hands of Ishwara (Maayaam tu prakritim viddhi, maayinam tu
maheshwara - Shvetashvataropanishat). Avidya is the power that binds jiva.
So, the upadhis are for Brahman basically, though they are unreal.