[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 23:14:05 EDT 2017

Namaste

I heard you cannot practice Dharma in a place without Varna Ashrama system.
That place must have the four Varnas of Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Vaishyas and
Sudras and the Ashramas. Earlier Brahmins used to live in Agraharas
together. There was a reason. If all like minded people live together it is
easy to follow Dharma. When you wake up  in the morning from the
neighbour's house you can hear Suprabhata or Vishnu Sahasra Nama. You can
hear the Puja bell ringing from other houses. Then you also will follow the
tradition and do Puja and so on.  When you see other Brahmins near your
house doing Sandhyavandana you will also follow them. When you hear Veda
Mantras coming from other houses you will also do Veda Parayana.  When you
get the smell of festival food coming from other houses your family will
also prepare festival food.

In big cities even in India it is difficult to create this environment.
Some organizations have come forward and they are allotting sites to
Brahmins to build houses and stay in one area. Some areas are coming up. If
the same can be done in USA or other foreign countries it is better to
follow Dharma. If you are staying alone surrounded by Mlecchas it is
difficult. Then your sons may ask why we have to do Sandhyavandana when my
friends  in the neighbourhood are not doing it? Your family will ask why we
have to eat festival food when our neighbours are eating Pizza? Why we have
to listen to Vishnu Sahasra Nama when our friends are listening to other
music? Your daughters may ask why I should not have a boy friend when all
my friends have? Endless list.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 7:34 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

Regards

-Venkatesh