[Advaita-l] vedAntins at the time of shankara

Kalyan kalyan_kg at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 08:56:05 EDT 2017

//
 I don't agree.
 Vaishnavism and  and Shaivism had a long independent
 history.  One of the arguments that
 Shankaracharya makes in the
 chaturvyuhadhikarana is that the pancharatra
 agamas are non-Vedic
 therefore
 non-authoritative.  At some later point there was an effort//

I am not sure what and why you are disagreeing with. You yourself mentioned that completely dualistic schools of vedanta are relatively new, to which I just expressed my agreement. Now you want to argue that they are not new? What is the reason for the sudden change of heart?

Also, there is some contradiction in your statements. You want to argue that pashupatha and pancaratra are unvedic and yet argue that early vaishnavism and shaivism were vedic? You need to clarify.

//
Somewhat anyway. If we
 restrict Samkhya to
 Ishvarakrishna then yes
 it is non-theistic but theistic samkhya can be
 found in the bhagavadgita, mokshadharma and
 elsewhere in itihasa/puranas.
 And what is
 Yoga if not Samkhya + Ishvara?//

The theism of samkhya and yoga is quite different from the highly devotional theism of later vedantic schools.

 //However it should be conceded that the Samkhya
 concept of Ishvara is not
 acceptable to
 Vedantins of any stripe.//

This is interesting. You want to argue that theistic samkhya is found in BG and Mahabharata and yet you want to say that it is unacceptable to vedantins. So, your statements lead to the conclusion that BG and Mahabharata are anti-vedantic!

Regards
Kalyan

 dualism in vedAnta is relatively new. One of the views
 > floating around here is that post-advaitic
 rival vedAntic schools were
 > caused by
 the difference in the views among the advaitins. I don't
 know
 > how far this is true.

 I don't agree.
 Vaishnavism and  and Shaivism had a long independent
 history.  One of the arguments that
 Shankaracharya makes in the
 chaturvyuhadhikarana is that the pancharatra
 agamas are non-Vedic
 therefore
 non-authoritative.  At some later point there was an effort
 made
 to align themselves with Vedanta.
 For instance it is Yamuna the
 predecessor
 of Ramanuja who attempts to make the case that pancharatra

 agamas are Vedic (i.e. Vedantic.)

 > The way I see it, the
 advent of these new rival vedAntic schools is
 > probably due to a theistic reaction to the
 perceived non-theism of
 > advaita.
 Neither sAmkhya nor early bhedAbheda were theistic. The new

 > vedAntic schools came to fill in the
 theistic gap.

 Again I disagree.  Somewhat anyway. If we