[Advaita-l] vedAntins at the time of shankara

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 11:43:16 EDT 2017

Namaste Subbuji,

​
On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 3:19 PM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

> There is a difference. Shankara has not claimed that he is refuting
> pre-existing Bhāṣyas on the Brahmasutra as others have done. All that he is
> claiming is that the monist is the only representative of the Upanishadic
> mata and all his opponents are dualists.  We find the proof of this in his
> refutation of the various schools such as the sankhya, yoga, vaisheshika,
> bauddha, jaina, pancharatra, pashupata, mimamsa, charvaka..  That gives us
> an idea that there were no Vedantic schools that Shankara was opposed to.

Bhashyakara was not opposed to the final conclusion of ​Vrttikara's
Bhedabheda that Atman is brahman, but that upAsana is needed for the same
even after jnAnotpatti. This is elaborately dismissed in the bhAShya under
tattu samanvayAt, considering all possible upAsanA options.

​
​
Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */