[Advaita-l] vedAntins at the time of shankara

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 07:17:58 EDT 2017

On 16 Sep 2017 11:54, "Kalyan via Advaita-l" <

//Completely dualistic schools of Vedanta are a relatively recent
development.  The only dualists in early times were Samkhyas.  It is they
that Shankaracharya is contrasting with "followers of the Upanishads."//

I agree. Strict dualism in vedAnta is relatively new. One of the views
floating around here is that post-advaitic rival vedAntic schools were
caused by the difference in the views among the advaitins. I don't know how
far this is true.

The way I see it, the advent of these new rival vedAntic schools is
probably due to a theistic reaction to the perceived non-theism of advaita.
Neither sAmkhya nor early bhedAbheda were theistic. The new vedAntic
schools came to fill in the theistic gap.

Both the adherents of the two rival schools clearly say that their Acharyas
brought to the fore what was already in vogue. Madhwas trace their system
to Narayana, Brahma.. Ramanujas too say theirs is a firm preexistent
system. Bodhayana vritti on the Brahmsutra is the basis for the Sribhashya
they say. Their system was practiced by the Azhwars they claim.

Narayana pandita in Manimanjari even gives names of several Tirthas who
preceded Madhva.

Regards
VS

Regards