[Advaita-l] vedAntins at the time of shankara

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 16 00:55:45 EDT 2017

The basic foundation of ekavAkyatA of Shruti and arthApatti of
impossibility of mokSha otherwise can potentially overthrow erroneous
conclusion of all Vaidika opponents. On a related note, I wonder what other
Vedanta schools of thought use for tAparyanishchaya instead of the
ShaDliMgas of Advaita Vedantins.

If I may speculate, other schools, especially the Vaishnava schools, place
more emphasis on sources such as itihAsa (Mahabharata), Puranas, and
Agamas, with the justification that understanding Vedas is not easy and
would require the aid of these secondary sources. Hence, they tend to
interpret Vedanta with glasses colored by the secondary sources. On the
other hand, the standard approach to Vedanta holds that Puranas, etc. are
meant for those who do not possess the adhikAra to study Vedas/Vedanta, and
hence, it is sufficient to work within the framework of the prasthAnatrayI,
using mImAmsA  rules of interpretation.

Anand