[Advaita-l] Accounting for Brahman appearing as the world

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 08:04:15 EDT 2017

Namaste Sri Ravi Ji,

Sorry for the late response. My net connection was down again. Due to
extensive upgradation of the infrastructure in my location, I am afraid
this type of disruptions will continue for the next several months.

Reg your query  << Does it imply, there is no ऐक्यसामानाधिकरण्यं taking
place here, with the arising of aikya jnAna ? >>,

I am not sure if I have understood your question properly.  I will answer
it the way I have understood. If this is wrong understanding, please
clarify your query.  ऐक्यसामानाधिकरण्यं (aikyasAmAnAdhikaraNyaM) is not an
event to take place. It is part of an analysis of Shruti vAkya to arrive at
a definitive conclusion (tAtparya) as regards its import. As per advaita
sidhAnta, Atman and Brahman are one and the same is the conclusion. With
aikya jnAna established, the analysis is complete. So where is the question
of any further  ऐक्यसामानाधिकरण्यं (aikyasAmAnAdhikaraNyaM) ?.

Reg  << ** Atman and Brahman are the same entity.**

How is such Knowledge generated ? Is it only by negation ? >>,

Yes. By  the negation (bAdha) of the wrong understanding of “aham” in the
mahA vAkya “aham brahmAsmi”. How it is generated was discussed sometime
back in the thread on “akhandAkAra vritti” in which you also participated.
You may like to refer to that thread for further clarity.

The “negation” should be with reference to a mahA vAkya only. For instance,
bAdhasAmAnAdhikaranyam applied in the case of “sarvam Brahma” does not lead
to the above type of Knowledge because “sarvam Brahma” is not a mahA
vAkya.

Regards