[Advaita-l] Accounting for Brahman appearing as the world

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 08:03:57 EDT 2017

Namaste Praveen ji

You had written that sarvaM brahma implies bAdhAyam sAmAnAdhikaraNyam
between the 2 words.

On the other hand, 'aham brahma' implies aikya sAmAnAdhikaraNyam. (In the
nirguNam interpretation)

But how does this gel with the idea that aikya sAmA..  obtains only in
cases like brAhmaNaH dvijottamaH etc.

Another  query related to the same issue - I understand samAnAdhikaraNyam
as being a relationship between words. And  on the other hand lakShaNA
vRtti kicks in at the level of sentence analysis and understanding.  I
assume that the padArtha-s (word meanings)  have to be ascertained first
before deciding whether or not to use lakShaNA .

Now in the case of aham brahma, there are only 2 words in the sentence. You
wrote that we use jahallakShaNa.

I understand you to be saying the following - we can understand 'aham
brahma asmi' in these 2 ways.

1. We can claim aikyasamAnAdhikaraNyam betweem aham and brahma words and
the use jahallakShaNA to arrive at mahAvAkyaGYAnam with the word brahma
being taken as nirguNam brahma. ( DSV?)

2. Or we could use bAdhasAmAnAdhikaraNyam plus jahAjahallakShaNa with
brahma shabda being understood as saguNam brahma, to arrive at the same
GYAnam . (SDV ?)

Kindly correct the above or clarify
Om
Raghav

One reference from archives relevant to the topic.

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2016-March/040504.html

On 10-Sep-2017 2:47 PM, "Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l" <