[Advaita-l] Question/Clarification on Chanting Vaidika mantras

Gopal gopal.gopinath at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 10:09:50 EDT 2017

Namaste,

> the artha here refers to the accents, udAtta, anudAtta, etc., since these
are crucial to the  meaning. Understanding the actual meaning is
secondary............  In fact, understanding the meanings in Vedic
mantra-s is secondary to the  point of almost irrelevance

Mostly it should be a result of my misunderstanding, kindly clarify.  It
was meant that the ucchadanam etc. should be focused on towards
understanding the meaning.  Simultaneously, another statement in the mail
also implied that meaning was not important. To my simple mind, this
appears a bit self-contradictory. If meaning is not important, then why to
focus on something like proper ucchadanam, svara shuddatvam etc. that would
ultimately render the meaning?

>One can refer to Deivathin Kural a  compendium of Sri Mahaswamigal's
pravachanas from time to time.

I believe when the teachers of saastraas  teach nyaya sastra (logic, so as
to say), they highlight the importance of context in which it is applied.
In fact, in modern computer science too when logical programming is taught,
context is given much importance.
Maybe, we are over-reading Mahaperiyavaa's words without a context? For
example, the following blog post reproducing the original words translated
into English has a different take on this or at least appears so if read in
context of the **whole** passage:

http://advaitham.blogspot.fr/2008/09/deivathin-kural-54-of-vol-2-of-30-nov.html

I vaguely remember a reference from Sayana  bhashya of YV that shata
rudreeya can be used as karma khanda mantras and  **also as jnana uddheshya
yukti** if so inclined.  In fact, the mantras of shata rudreeya are so
profound that commentators from multiple sampradayas of ancient and modern
times have written bhashyas on them rendering their spiritual (=jnana)
meaning  in older vedic scholarship, advaitins and even as recent as now as
madhwa scholars.

Also, kindly refer to Siddhanjana of TV Kapali Sastri (that mahaperiyava
does refers to in the above passage). The first four sections of this book
is called Rig bhashya bhumika that discussed why mantras of  veda samhitaas
have multiple uses with one of them being the prayoga during shroutha and
smartha karmas. The book is available on archives.

any correction to my understanding would be appreciated.

thanks
..gopal

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 6:06 AM, R Krishnamoorthy via Advaita-l <