[Advaita-l] Significance of Mula Avidya

sreenivasa murthy narayana145 at yahoo.co.in
Fri Oct 27 08:22:11 EDT 2017

Dear Friends,

 I have afeeling that the  statement "The wrong knowledge did not arise through any pramana; it is not pramana janya." is not in tune with the mantra 2-5-19 of BruhadaraNyaka Upanishad and Sri Shankara's commentary to mantra 2-2-12 of Mundaka Upanishad. Sri Shankara writes : brahmaiva ukta lakShaNam idaM yat purastAt agrE abrhmEva avidyAdRuShTInAm pratyavaBasamAnam ||  Mantra 7-25-2 of Chandogya upanishad states thus: AtmaivEdagM sarvam || So the five senses which are the pramanas for the knowledge of the external objects are the manifestation of Atman Only.
   From the above statements it becomes clear that the knowledge based upon the data furnished by the senses are nothing but avidya.  Hence the the conclusions drawn  by the mind based upon the data  furnished by the senses is avidya and it is laukikapramANajanitaM.

   Sir Arthur Eddington , an eminent Physycist, gave a series of lectures in the Cambridge University and they were published in a book form titled " The Nature Of the Physical World".I request the learned members to read the First lecture in that book. Really it is an eye opener. The  book is available on the web.

 With respectful namaskars,Sreenivasa Murthy.