[Advaita-l] The Glory of Sannyasa

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Oct 24 05:40:11 EDT 2017

praNAms Sri Sujal prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Yes, Katha upanishad is collection of sayings of katha rishi. I heard it in a discourse by Swami Tadrupanand ji in Gujarati. I quoted him from my memory. Swamiji has not cited any reference for this claim. Please correct it if I am wrong.

Ø    Traditionally we have a strong belief that vedAnta aka Upanishads (veda-s) are apaurusheya and it is not man made.  Katha shruti  is part and parcel of this apaurusheya veda-s.

There is one more upaniṣad in the name of rishi - svataśvatara upaniṣad

Ø     Same as above.  Nobody from the tradition would agree that Upanishads are based on collection of some individual thoughts.  If these are vaiyuktika (individual) abhipraaya then it cannot be considered as pramANa in brahma jignAsa.

So either they are their own teachings or they are characters used to explain eternal teachings. I would also like to have opinion of your and other members.

Ø    For that matter in most of the Upanishads characters used to advocate eternal teachings.  Bhrugu-vaaruNi in taitereeya, janaka-yajnavalkya in bruhadaaraNyaka, bhrugu-vaaruNi in taitereeya, shvetaketu- in chAndOgya etc.  It does not mean these Upanishads have written after these dialogues have taken place at some point of time.  Atleast this is what saMpradAya has to say about apaurusheyatvaM of veda-s.

Ø   Anyway, you can wait for more authentic answer from other prabhuji-s.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar