[Advaita-l] Bhagini Hasta Bhojanam

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 23:40:41 EDT 2017

Namaste

Guru's son will be like a brother to the disciple and Guru's daughter is
like a sister. For this there is a story in the Puranas about Kacha and
Devayani. Kacha was Bruhaspati's son and Devayani was Sukracharya's
daughter. She developed love for Kacha and wanted to marry him when he was
studying under Sukracharya. One day the Asuras killed him and mixed his
bones powder into alcoholic drinks and served to Sukracharya. He drank it
but he came to know Kacha was killed and he drank his bones. Then
Sukracharya taught Sanjeevini Mantra to Kacha in the stomach and brought
him to life. Kacha burst open Sukracharya's stomach and became alive. But
Sukracharya was killed. Then Kacha used Sanjeevini Mantra to make
Sukracharya alive. Then Kacha said to Devayani. I have come out of my
Guru's stomach and I am like his son. Therefore you are my sister. I cannot
marry you. You find some other person to marry. Devayani later married
Emperor Yayati but he was not faithful to her and had illicit relations
with her servant Sharmistha.

Guru is both Mother and Father of disciple. As a matter of fact he is
higher than Mother and Father.

In those ancient days men used to marry girls very young like 12 years old.
There was big generation gap between husband and wife. Guru's wife was very
young and almost same age as Brahmachari disciples of Guru. But Guru's wife
is like mother to disciples. That is why they say a person going to bed
with Guru's wife is doing Guru Talpagamana is a Heinous Crime. It is a
Mahapataka. It is a Heinous Crime like Matru Gamana.

Regards

-Venkatesh