[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 13:35:47 EDT 2017

Namaste

I hope you understand Nitya Karmas like Sandhya and Pooja are common to all
Brahmins. But there are different Sampradayas.
Sandhya Vandana https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaLXr5nbBEo
Samidhadhanam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlgWWw3oJMQ
Brahma Yajna with English instruction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkR0GCtjE6M
Deva Pooja Kannada Instruction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0NjSaJFNoQ

After doing Nitya Karmas a Smartha Brahmin must be interested in Vedanta.
He should not be satisfied with only Puranic stories like Parashurama
Avatara, Rama, Krishna, Narasimha and so on.
The stories he can listen from anywhere. But Vedanta is the goal because
Advaita is Vedanta and Vedanta and Advaita.
First step is Adi Sankara's Viveka Chudamani.
Viveka Chudamani of Adi Sankara in English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeZBqnVbRns&list=PLWjpkY4mU2RBA0G4fiVC68uw6ihZT0Yyr

After that he can study other books like Upadesha Sahasri. Then he has to
learn Upanishads and Gita Bhashya and Brahma Sutra Bhashya from Guru only.

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Santosh Rao via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
>
> To be a little more specific, I am looking for some discourses on
> traditional smartha dharma similar to the ones given by this Sri vaishnava
> swami:
>
> https://youtu.be/24neYu81BJc
>
> This swami produces very good and clear lectures on traditonal Sri
> vaishnava dharma in both English and Tamil.
>
> Santosh
>

> On Oct 12, 2017 6:15 AM, "Sujal Upadhyay via Advaita-l" <
>
> Sorry it should be 'bhAvAnuvAda' instead of 'bhAvArtha'
>

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Sujal Upadhyay <sujal.u at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Pranams,
> >
> > What Sri Santosh ji, Sri Bhaskar Prabhu ji and others are saying is true.
> > If we do not keep up with time, then less and less of young generation
> will
> > take interest in Traditional way of life. Ours is demanding mind and
> there
> > is plenty of material available for purchase. we live in material world
> in
> > material-centered society. Some work needs to be done.
> >
> > ​<content clipped>​

Regards

-Venkatesh