[Advaita-l] Chanting gayatri overseas

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 02:22:43 EDT 2017

Namsate Sri Kalyan ji,

Regarding link of Sringeri website, you must be aware that I posted video
link to anugrah bhashyam. Direct guidance does not mean he is actively
involved in day-2-day activities. No I am not chanigng sides :) He may be
involved in setting up a matha, but that's it. I know it is difficult to
understand, but at times, saints simply respond to the request which were
there since years. Please allow me to clarify.

As I have said, these are not my views, but my friend's. Even though I may
not may not agree with him, I have to put these points. As said earlier, we
are free to agree or disagree. Also note that I did not want to go against
shastras.

However, I spotted that there is a Sringeri matha in USA. I would have
gulped it down, but I chose to mention is here. I personally highly respect
Sringeri Jagadguru and their lineage and so never accused them. I feel he
is a jivan mukta and so not bound by any laws and works according to the
orders given by Ishvara. All I wanted is to know the reason behind such
actions. There are various explanations possible. We may not agree. But
this does not mean that I should not post 'different' views. Asking my
friend to register to this forum just for one post and drag him into a
discussion seems unwise to me.

Regarding being unaware of matha activities, it is my friend's opinion. In
the Book 'Yoga enlightenment and Perfection' it is mentioned that the Guru
of Paramacharya Sri Abhinav Vidyatirtha Mahaswami, Sri Chandrakshekara
Bharathi Mahaswami remains least concerned about matha activities. I
personally think that Sringeri Jagadguru remains aloof to many things. This
does not mean he is unaware. He may or may not be aware. it depends if the
issue is minor or major one. I would prefer to use the word 'unconcerned'.
I also feel that the website or any activity like Newsletter, etc is not
directly managed by him, meaning that he is not actively involved in these
kind of activities. Sringeri Jagadguru is not tech savy. He himself doe
snot tweet or post on facebook. He is not like other Sadhus who want to
expand the reach of their influence. I do not see him appeal for donation.
However, keeping in touch with times, there is an opinion on website to
donate. I personally do not like to donate online. Personally visit Swami
and give him dakshina is much better then simply transferring money without
seeing him. Man-to-man contact especially with GYAnI-s does have a deep
impact on our chitta or mAnasa. But still we have to keep up with the time
and so there is a donation link.

If Ramana Maharshi's example acceptable, it will be easy to understand. He
had tumors in his left land. He was diagnosed with cancer. Doctors asked
and repeatedly pleased to do operation. Ramana Maharshi denied requests.
However later on he agreed to be operated but without anesthesia. He also
said that this will do more harm then help. Tumors increased after
operations. If he knew what is going to happen, then why would he agree to
accept plea of doctors and devotees? Well he himself was unconcerned about
all the happenings around him and also about his own body. but was he not
directly involed? Yes He was. Still he remained detached. Staying detached
is the natural habit of a GYAnI.

I personally think Sringeri Jagadguru is doing his part to arrest this
trend. However, I did not knew the reason and so repeatedly asked for the
same. I even summarized different alternatives about foreign travel in
earlier reply. I just want to know the reason and I did not jump to a
conclusion and accuse him without knowing reasons. Just because I cannot
think of reason does not mean I should accuse him. This is my personal
opinion. In Advaita-L, we discuss issues. Again, feel free to agree to
disagree.

I also say that, in these though times, we have to respect traditional
Brahmins and try to support them so that they can protect veda-s. Yet we
cannot remain isolated from whats going around us. We should not shy away
but try to find a solution.

Hari OM
Sujal