[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 23:25:46 EDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Kalyan <kalyan_kg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> //Also is important to keep in mind what Shankara has said in the BGB:
> even if one is proficient in all shāstra-s, if he has not acquired
> knowledge according to the sampradāya, his views are to be rejected as
> those of a fool.//
>

> Subbuji, I think you have a very unhealthy tendency to label everyone as
> an asAmpradAyavit or a fool very easily. I think you should curb this
> tendency. You very easily behave as if you are the only gatekeeper of
> sAmpradAya.

Kalyan ji,

I can understand your predicament and why you are piques by this.

And stop selectively quoting Shankara bhAshyas. Sistachara does not replace
> Shruti.

It is not replacement of shruti but the method of application of shruti.

> The bhAshya on Br. Up. 1.3.10 is quite emphatic that one must not travel
> to foreign lands. Similar views are found in other dharmashastras quoted by
> others here. It is these, that the Sringeri Acharya has violated.

Yukti is important in understanding and application of such statements.
Supposing a group of ten or twenty families of vedic knowledge settle down
in a 'new' place, how is it going to affect the spirit of the shruti or
dharma shastra statements? It is the spirit of those pronouncements that
has to be kept in mind: what effect will the 'alien' environment have on
the dharm. If this is adequately taken care of, where is the problem? All
the dangers of the alien environment adversely affecting the dharmi are
happily available in this land also. A son or a daughter of a parama
vaidika going astray is not uncommon in our own society, family, etc. It is
this spirit that has to be understood from the shruti and dharma shastra.
We have a verse: Ishwara recognizes the intent, the heart, of the
bhakta/aspirant, and not the outward accessories. Thus, there is absolutely
no violation that you think of by the Sringeri Acharya. When he blessed the
event in the US, there is already a vibrant establishment, a huge
settlement of people versed in the Vedas. There are already temples in the
US for the last several decades, veda teaching going on, vaidika karma-s
happening. Those adhering to that are all not asura-s, a great number of
saattvika-s are also there. Just as everyone in this land is not a
sattvika. It is this spirit that is recognized by the Acharya when he
blessed the event and supports the establishment.

All this exactly happens when southerners go and settle in the northern
part of India. There are many glaring conflicts in the conduct, achara of
the two groups. Yet southerners have built up a community of their own
there over time and happily adhere to their own, native, achara-s. Thus a
foreign land can be there even within this country and all depends on how
one tactfully applies the  shruti/dharma shastra.
regards
subbu