[Advaita-l] prayAshchitaM for sAvitribhraShTAH

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 01:54:16 EDT 2017

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Rajesh Benjwal via Advaita-l <

> hariH om,
>
> I shuklayajurvedAdhyAyI brAhmaNa, a follower of pArAskara gRRihyasUtra. As
> per our gRRihyasUtra if a brAhmaNa does not perform yaj~nopavIta saMskAra
> at the prescribed time, 16 years for brAhmaNa,  then he has to
> perform व्रात्यस्तोम् as a prAyashchita karma. There is no alternative
> provided in gRRihyasUtra. There are few rules so you can do certain
> other prAyashchita
> karma till 23 years old but after that only व्रात्यस्तोम्.
>
> Now there are few brAhmaNas they are interested in learning Veda shAkha but
> they are sAvitribhraShTAH and crossed the age limit of 23. We have
> connected for व्रात्यस्तोम् to some learned paNDita and the cost is around
> 7-8 lakh, you have to donate 33 cows also. Which is too much for brAhmaNas
> who
> are still studying.
>
> Is there any other feasible prAyashchita karma for sAvitribhraShTAH which
> is possible to perform in this Kaliyuga and which is acceptable
> traditionally?

I think one should not worry much about such expiatory acts. A person took
his well grown up, really overaged, son to the previous Jagadguru of
Srngeri and asked, has Gurubala arrived for this boy for performing his
upanayana? The Acharya, with a rather firm tone said: Perform his upanayana
now, immediately.

The best prayaschitta is to perform the samskara that is already long
overdue. Better late than never is the norm. After the upanayana if the boy
performs his vihita karmas properly, that will itself take care of the
earlier lapse on the part of the parents. The parents also will be absolved
of any pāpa by waking up to the performing of the samskara.

vs