[Advaita-l] Question/Clarification on Chanting Vaidika mantras

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 01:10:21 EDT 2017

​Namaste Kartikji

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:26 AM, S Jayanarayanan via Advaita-l <

> Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen -at- gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Therefore, knowing the meaning is secondary to the extent of being
> almost moot.
>
> No, I'm saying that there is a significant effect of knowing the meaning
> of the Vedic Mantras that goes above and beyond merely chanting them.

To clarify, ​I know what you're saying. ​I was restating what Ramaji is
saying and this was addressed to those who misunderstood his statement.

> I've recited the Purusha Suktam many times (even earlier today), and
> certainly gained from the knowledge of the meaning of (at least some
> of) the Mantras.

Same here, but gaining the knowledge is a dRShTaphala while the contention
here is about adRShTaphala. I doubt that anyone will question the gain
(dRShThaphala) in knowing the meaning (padArtha and vAkyArtha)! This
dRShTaphala is gained even without chanting properly or without svara. Just
reading it and making an anvaya and/ or studying Sayanabhashya will get us
that. However, it will not get us adRShTa, what will is chanting properly
with svara.

In a nutshell: knowing the meaning of (a few of) the Veda Mantras may not
> be essential, but is surely beneficial! Yes, even to the Average Devadatta!

​Sure, and that benefit is dRShTaphala. I wonder if Ramaji differs though.

​gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */