[Advaita-l] Fwd: Rama and Krishna are Jiva-s - Mahabharata

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed May 24 12:03:40 EDT 2017

Namaste Kalyanji,
​
On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 9:14 PM, Kalyan <kalyan_kg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Because the Mahabharata does not give scope for such an interpretation.
> The central theme of Mbh is that when dharma declines, Ishwara himself
> descends to earth to restore order.

​​M.Bh. is not the only source to know who Ishvara is.​​

> In Mbh, this Ishwara is Krishna. Shankara also gives a similar summary in
> his intro to gita bhashya.

Yet Shankara's definition of Ishvara is not Krishna known as Vasudeva putra
or even Vishnu sitting elsewhere in some heaven.

Vaishnavas might pray to Shiva. But I am pretty confident that Vishnu alone
> is the moksha giver for them.
>
> ​Note below​

> //On a related
>  matter, I do not know as to why those who call themselves as
>  Vedantins
> ​,​
> following Advaita Vedanta take to a non-Vedanta
>  source as having more authority in their
>  doctrine.//
>
> Not sure what you are trying to say here.

If that "giver of moksha" ​being Vishnu as some deity is established from
non-Upanishad source, then it cannot be called as Vedanta doctrine.

​gurupAdukAbhyAm
,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */
​